Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Time Capsule M5

Discussion in 'E39 M5 (2000-2003)' started by jmaconaghy, Oct 28, 2008.

jmaconaghy guest

I'm not gloating...well maybe just a little. I found a 2002 M5 black over black in New Jersey last weekend with 6098 miles on it. Thats right, six thousand and ninety eight. This thing is that "time capsule" car that we all hope to find some day but rarely do all the stars line up. As I looked the car over I struggled to find any signs of usage. It took a while for me to beleive the BMW sales people who told me the story of the little old broker from East Hampton who never drove it....I stood there doubting for a moment...thinking...I called my wife on the cell to get her opinion. She gave me the green light. The stars were alligning. Within the 2 hours that I spent driving and inspecting this museum piece 3 other potential buyers showed up. They circled around like vultures waiting for the moment of my indecisivness. Whats wrong with it I asked. Nothing was the reply. Any other stories? I asked. None. Clean title? Yes. One owner? Yes. Fine. Sold. Its now in my garage.

Lucky me.

az3579

Wow!

Got any pics?

jmaconaghy guest

M5

Im working on getting a few put up.

BlueMajik guest

I know how you feel. I found a pristine 2001 LMB with Blue/Black interior with 34k on it a few weeks ago that now sits in my garage. The 05 e60 has been moved outside with a car cover.

Mbrother guest

Please post some pics...I am interested in seeing what it looks like!

CRKrieger

Ahhh, Garage Queens in the making, booting Banglized disasters out into the cold. Brings a tear to my eye, it does ... :eek:

CSBM5

There are two cars for sale on the west coast with less than 150 miles on them that have been properly taken care of since new. A 2000 and 2002 model, both silver (otherwise I likely would have bought one of them to join my current M5 which in itself is a quasi-garage queen, but I just can't handle silver...still pondering it though). He also had an Imola 2003 with similar, almost zero, miles that was sold to a guy in Europe for $50k last fall.

Autohaus guest

Pics or it didn't happened :)

Mbrother guest

I have seen these 2 on the M5board ALOT! That silver one (02) is extremely enticing...just have to vinyl side the house(damn!) ;)

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

I have a member / friend that has an Imola 2000 M5 with less than 5k miles on it. He owns the local BMW motorcycle dealership and has many cool cars, including an Indy Car, original Mini, new modded Cooper S , various other BMW's, a new GT40 and other boats, jet skis and dirt bikes. He always invites to show and share in his toys. Needless to say, his many other distractions have allowed this car to remain basically "as new". It has never been titled and wears dealer tags to this day. I don't know what he would ever sell it for, but it truly qualifies as a "time capsule" car, even though is does get driven every so often.
    I do enjoy seeing such a pristine examples, but giggle all the way home in my 91 M5 with 104k miles. I feel driving, maintaining and enjoying these machines is the best reward for owning one...not looking at it sitting in the garage. That said, it is his decision as it is his car. I can live with that and respect him for the purchases he has made and his willingness to share them with everyone.
    Still amazes me how many of these "queens" there actually are out there.

Autohaus guest

I agree completely. These "machines" are meant to be driven. However, I must confess that my E28 sits in the garage. I would drive it more but I need to get some things done to it first (timing belt, tune-up, tires and gas tank) before I can tear up the 121-hp machine loose :). Back to the point, your friends E39 M5 is museum quality. Maybe you will pry it off of his hands one day.

CSBM5

granthr

Wow, it is amazing that people buy these cars and then don't drive them. They certainly have not increased in value to make this worth it. Do you know what the story is?

CSBM5

I don't know too much more. I do know that those picture links are just a portion of this person's collection of cars. They are all stored in a climate controlled facility, covered and on battery tenders. There is one guy, Gregg, who takes care of them all. All of them are started and driven an amount necessary to fully warm things, etc. Fluid maintenance is done via flat-bedding them to a dealer from my understanding. In other words, they seem to have a handle on proper long term care. Clearly this hasn't been driven by a financial plan (i.e. after 5 years of storage the Imola M5 was sold for $50k after probably listing at about $75k when new).

The Z8s are awesome. I think the one that sold went for about $140k. This is probably the only person who still has two essentially brand new Z8s (less than 100 miles on each) after selling one of them.

He also has other cars not in these pictures...many others apparently. Stuff like first year X5 4.6is (more than one), 2000 and 2001 740i sport pkg cars (multiple), etc.

I tried to work a deal to buy one of those three E24 M6s, but those are now not for sale (smart guy). They have more mileage than the newer stuff, but still very low miles and with outstanding care. He's smart to hold onto those.

The 2000 M5 is for sale for $44k I think and the 2002 M5 for $48k.

That's about all I know.

CSBM5

Autohaus guest

A perfect job for me :). The undercarriage on the 740 is so clean :eek:. 80 miles will do that :cool:

granthr

That would be a pretty good gig I would say. Looking after all those cars. :D I saw something similar to this from German, I think in Bimmerforums.. Where a guy had all these old Alpina BMWs. I don't know if the mileage was as low, but he had probably 20 or more cars.

missmelyssa guest

These cars are beauts. Hearing how low the orig miles are is initially fascinating, but if I had them I'd have to drive them. I wouldn't be able to control myself.