Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

To mask or not to mask

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by kraftwagen, Feb 6, 2009.

kraftwagen guest

Does anyone care to weigh in on using a nosemask? Aside from aesthetics, are there any drawbacks? I'm really getting nervous about the salt and pebbles kicked up on the highway this winter--it's one of the worst we've seen here in Chicago in decades. I do not, however, feel like dropping $600 on a permanant film that may discolor or peel after a few years. I'd maybe consdier just the bumpers, but so far I haven't found anyone around here that will do just those parts.

My apologies if this has already been covered in an older post.

GregS_WI guest

Just my 2cents

I don't think I'd bother with the bumpers. The plastic bumper covers can take a lot of abuse before looking bad. It's the metal hood and leading edge of the fenders that gets the nasty chips.

My personal opinion though is to skip them and fix the chips, maybe eventually spring for new paint. But I don't have any traffic up here to deal with, so my viewpoint is pretty skewed. If those masks could ward against deer/bear/moose, then I might get on board...

John in VA

I've used the vinyl bra/mask on cars for over 30 years, and they do their job. You can not leave them on for extended periods of time or allow them to get wet & remain on the car or they will fog/damage your paint. Colgan, Wolf and CoverCraft make good ones.