Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Detailed: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by herbstz4m, Apr 17, 2012.

herbstz4m guest

Well, it's about time!

Car has been severely neglected from any proper washing technique. There was holograms all over the car, not to mention the PO had a clear bra installed and the installer actually cut the clear bra on the car, and CUT INTO THE PAINT!!!

Needless to say, I had my work up for me. I wasn't going for 100% correction, because with the amount of damage done, I knew it was going to be too much time, I looked at around 90-95%.

Products Used:

Wash:
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss
    2800 PSI Pressure Washer
    2 Bucket Method
    IronX

Clay:
    Poorboys Clay
    CG QD

Correction:
    Makita 9227c
    PC DA
    M105
    M205
    LCC HydroPads

Protection:
    Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant
    Dodo Juice Hardy Candy
    Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub

Wheels:
    Meguiars APC+
    Poorboys Wheel Sealant
    Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel

Exhaust:
    Wheel Wax Metal Polish
    Steel Wool #0000
    Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Onto the Pictures!

Removing Clear Bra

[IMG]

You can see the damage done from the clear bra

[IMG]

Clear Bra Gone! Bye Bye Yellow!

[IMG]

Another Picture of the Clear Bra Installed Damage

[IMG]

Wash!

[IMG]

IronX doing it's job, it's bleeding!

[IMG]

[IMG]

IronX making the clay process pretty easy...barely nothing coming off the hood

[IMG]

Correction Time!

[IMG]

Close Your Eyes, this is scary

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Correction Done!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Final Shots

[IMG]

herbstz4m guest

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

brucembergeron

Fantastic job! You have inspired me to consider finding some time to ponder the right moment to proceed contemplating tackling a job like this. Detect a little commitment? Seriously, I always start off gung ho, but then about 1/3 of the way through I start wishing I was done. I admire your patience and the outcome is remarkable. I've never used DoDo Juice before, but the results speak for themselves.

herbstz4m guest

It's a weekend job for sure. I had some time on my hands so I spread out my work over 3 days. First day was wash/IronX/clay/wheels. Second day was correction and sealant application. Third day was sealant removal and LSP applications.

Sadly, each day basically took up the whole day, but that's what I get for being OCD-ish. I wanted to ideally do PO85rd and jewel the paint, but I was beat and figured it was good enough and I would do it next time around. I don't think much else could be achieved from the paint...it looked pretty darn good.

Thanks for the comments, it's really appreciated and good to know that my hard work is paid off!

While Dodo Juice is kinda expensive, I'm addicted to it. By far the easiest wax I have applied and removed, and the results and protection are outrageous! Combined with Wolfgang Sealant, IMO I think it's a combination that's tough to beat.

They sell 30ml pots of Dodo Juice at autogeek and detailedimage if you want to try them out and get a feel. They should last around 4-5 applications so I hear.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Verry Nice!!

Thanks for sharing.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hey, Herb! WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO SAN DIEGO?! Bring yer supplies. . .

:D:D:D

herbstz4m guest

Hehe, I don't think I'm coming any time soon.

Thanks eblue.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Awesome looking car! Nice job - I know that was a time consuming job!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Now, when are you going to pry off those stupik M badges? I don't insist on old-school pinstripes in M colors, like those on the back of a certain M roadster I could mention, but come ON!

Somebody asked me why I took the M badges off the car. It's simple: The people who know what the car is don't need no steenkin' badges, and the ones who don't? Who cares about impressing them with M badges?

You know, ghost flames over Imola Red would be AWESOME!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

And by the way, that coupe is @#$%! gorgeous.

herbstz4m guest

It's in the plans, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I completely agree.

Thanks for the compliment. Updated shot of the car in it's natural element...Too bad it's going to be covered in tire dust tomorrow!

[IMG]
    C&C May 5th by M0nk3yy31, on Flickr

Pyewacket1

What I want to know is how do I sign up for you to do my 2007 Montego Blue Z4 Coupe?

Its been garaged since I bought it new, ans has only 5K miles, so it shouldn't be nearly as much work.

You did an excellent job, and I complement you on the results... It shows!!!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

A certain white roadster comes first!

herbstz4m guest

Thanks guys. Come to Ohio and we can work something out ;)

bluewagon

Car looks great. I remember doing all that work on my 88 535is.In 2009 I discovered a product Called Wet Paint Glaze I started using it on my 03 325it.So simple no washing Just spray on wipe off ALL hard surfaces, Glass, Smooth plastic, Wheels You are done in less than an hour. I polish twice a year With Griots #4 machine polish.
    read about It then try it.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh. Did we tell you about Mister Wet Paint Glaze, Herb? He's baaaaaaack....

bluewagon

Satch: I am going to continue to talk about it. I know what all the work Herb did is all about also. I say to each his own.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Right you are!I really do plan to try it if I ever have anything with blue paint!

Meanwhile, I found myself with time before the No Alibi Rally to get the paint on my rally car one more step closer to acceptable. Since it was sprayed with Imola Red in 2010, it has never been properly buffed out. It lives in Portland, where I did not have a buffer, so before the rally I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's 105---it will work when applied by hand---and some Mother's Alleged Carnauba in a liquid paste.

Even with a car the size of a Saab Sonett, hand-rubbing the finish is a tedious proposition! But the wax went on and off the hand-rubbed paint with suspicious ease. It may be time to take a wheel to it.

In any event, I was so impressed with the M105 that I brought it home with me. I have some bad juju with the white roadster (from color-sanding) that should buff out pretty quickly with this stuff, plus I want to fix some travel damage on the nose: fill, spray, sand, buff.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Of course, No Alibi is two days of gravel. . .
    IMG_0569smaller.jpg

herbstz4m guest

I'm sorry, I laugh everytime I see that Mister Wet Paint Glaze...

You know that glaze is? Filler...nothing else. The fact they say you can use it anytime is hilarious, you cause more damage than NONE.

If you wash your car with a stripper shampoo, you'll see the damage that you cause. But it's funny how the mind works and makes you believe that using an spray can could make the car "look" flawless. Oh well, not everyone can read between the lines I guess ;)

That stuff is never going to come close to my paint...It's pure crap and all marketing. If you can use an automotive product "everywhere" then your're in the wrong company.

Chemical Guys, Poorboys, Wolfgang, Menzerna, Meguiar Professional Products are all that I use.

Using M105 is tough, you need to create heat to break it down...I bet you got a good arm workout that day! Needless to say, the front end where the dust is at looks awesome. Got any on-board camera?