Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Center Dash Air Vent Control

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 391075, Jul 14, 2013.

The silver tipped black plastic air vent control on my 08 335i just popped off. I am fearing an involved process of removing trim pieces/vents etc,etc. Does anyone have a link to DIY repair guide ??

charlson89

The bad is you have to replace the entire vent if this happens. Thankfully it is easy to replace. I have added a link below with a video showing how to remove the vents. In the video he uses a screw driver I DO NOT recommend using this can damage the wood use a proper trim tool. Also be very cautious with the start stop button ribbion cable can be damaged easily. Once the wood panel is removed the vents are just clipped to the wood just pry the clips up and pull back on the vents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfA1UJFhnc

Thanks for the information. I did some digging on-line and see this is a very common problem. The vent is poorly designed with just too much flimsy plastic. I am appreciating my older BMW(s) more each day !

With the hands of a surgeon, patience of a saint, two bent paper clips, and a fraction of a drop of super glue - I was able to repair the vent control without removing the wood panel and replacing the vent. Frugal old school American ingenuity is alive and well....
    MGarrison likes this.

MGarrison

Dear BMW:

I would be happy to pay 1¢ more for your fine automobiles if you would be willing to use .01ml more adhesive on your vent controls. Given economies of scale, this represents a profit margin of approximately 800,000.00% on vent-control adhesive, which perhaps may be worth considering.

Thank you.

Dear Herr American,

Proper air vent adjustment is performed after eating the Bratwurst and washing the hands. We suggest you practice and master this technique before operating our premium vehicles.

Sincerely,

Mr. BMW (aka somebody in NJ that doesn't care)