Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E92 Ticking Noise

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by mhm2526, Jan 16, 2009.

mhm2526 guest

Hi, folks - I'm new to the forum. Bought my '07 coupe about a year ago with 7800 miles on it and have put another 30,000 on it so far. The engine intermittently exhibits a ticking noise - can't predict when it will occur or how long it will last. I mentioned it to my dealer (BMW of Columbia, SC) at my last service and the service rep said it was not unusual for this engine; that it was a lifter which has not filled with oil and therefore the noise. He noted it on the service sheet and I went on my way. The car runs great otherwise. I have owned several Bimmers in the past ('72 2002, '76 2002, a German 320, '97 Z3 2.8, and most recently an '00 E46), and none of them had a similar noise - unless you want to count the '76 with thermal reactors (much noisier - sounded like a diesel!).

Anybody had the same problem?

Also - any way to calibrate the speedometer? Mine reads 3-5 mph high depending on speed.

Thanks.

az3579

Not much I could say regarding the noise, but the speedometer reading is designed to be like that. If it's only 3-5mph then just let it be. Mine is the same way.

mhm2526 guest

Thanks for the response. I figured there's not much that can be done about it. Better to read too high than too low, I guess.

JohnnyYuma guest

Potentially, it's your wastegates..

You may be hearing the waste gates due to the actuator keeping the gate slightly open so it continually slaps against the housing. In other forums I have seen that BMW is upgrading the firmware in order to take care of the issue, they don't suggest manually tightining the actuator but there are many DIY's articles on doing it.

This is simply a guess but it's common on the 335 for people to hear the ticking at some point but it usually clears up and can be difficult to reproduce on demand.

hefewzn

I have a '06 E90 330i with the same problem. I purchased it about 6 months/5,000 miles ago. Before I purchased it I called the local dealers to inquire about any major service. They told me a "lifter adjustment" per a BMW Service Bulletin was recently done to correct a "lifter tick".

When the valve train tick came back recently my service rep gave me BMW Service Bulletin SI B 11 09 07, Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA): "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noise

I did not have them perform the procedure and the noise went away after some spirited driving. They continue to assure me that this issue will not cause any long term damage or shorten the life of the valve train. I'm not so sure.....

The bulletin is attached (sorry I can't find the last little bit on page 2).

Michael

mhm2526 guest

Thanks for the information. My service rep apparently did not know about the SB or just did not want to tell me. Of course the car has not repeated the problem since I complained about it, but I'll keep listening for it. Thanks again.

mtechnik

I have a 06 325i I bought CPO with 38,000 miles. It is the lifters your hearing on the N52. My dealer bled the lifters, but it came back shortly thereafter. My guess is a bad early design and oil change intervals. First thing I did is change the oil with Lubro Moly 5W30 from Bav Auto and will continue every 7500 miles. What a difference that made! It's there but only on cold start up and then goes away after driving. If you regularly run the car on the expressway you'll usually hear it less. These cars dread short city trips. If you explain to your SA it keeps coming back, they may replace the N52 Cylinder head with valve and other parts. There is a PUMA case that's been open for a while. Make sure your oil level is correct with that damn electronic sensor...and you use one of the BMW approved synthetic. My 08 328i doesn't really do it at all. I've had her since day one so it got the 1200 mi break in oil change the every 7500 like Mike Miller suggests! Good luck.
    1. Diagram showing the valve lifters

mhm2526 guest

Thanks for the response. This confirms a lot of information I've been getting about the problem. Interesting discussion in Roundel about exactly our situation related that the problem may be because of the type of driving we do here in the states compared to the autobahn driving in Europe. The engine is designed for sustained higher rpm than we usually get in our short stop-and-go trips. The lifters apparently drain and start the ticking noise; the higher rpms keep them filled. I've put a lot of highway miles on my car and have not noticed the problem recently so hopefully Roundel is correct. Roundel also stated that the problem does not hurt the engine so no worries (well not many anyway - the darn thing should still sound like a BMW). I guess the bottomline is for us to keep the revs up! Break my heart. Enjoy your car - I think the E90 is beautiful. Thanks again.

zee4mike guest

Ticking

Just had my 2006 Z4 in for the same problem noise. Dealership performed service per SIB 11.09.07 Bleeding HVA elements (5th cycle and repeating). This was listed under cause. So far, so good......no ticking and engine seems smoother and more powerful (might just be my imagination). Service tech comments......performed bleeding procedure 5 times plus additional 15 minutes....All OK now. We'll see:cool:

mhm2526 guest

Thanks for the response, Zee4Mike. Especially since I've heard the noise again recently. I guess it means a trip to the dealership - at least BMW is not ignoring the problem and they're willing to do something about it. I understand, though, that even after the fix it will probably occur again. I wonder what exactly the fix entails, and is that something we'll be able to do after the warranty period has lapsed? Thanks again, put your top down and enjoy!

Jbeene guest

I had this issue on my 07 335i coupe as well and as well on an 06 530xiT.

As the two engines are quite different I think the issue you are having is likely the wastegate issue. The revised software that brings back the low end grunt produces the ticking noise because of the wastegate cycle time (at least thats what I was told). BMW released software updates to change the cycle time on the wastegate to make the noise go awaybut then the power went away so now they install the software with the proviso that it will cause noise. Its really just the wastegate flap ticking against the housing and should go away when you accelerate.Its annoying but doesn't effect performance.

The 530 had the leakdown issue with the valves.

Now I get ticking from the throw out bearing on my M3. After about 10 of these things I'm starting to get used to all the little noises.

mhm2526 guest

Hi, JBeene, thanks for the response. I don't think I have the wastegate problem since I have the 328i coupe rather than the turbo 335i (Unfortunately I also don't have the additional 70 horses that go along with the turbos!). I think you and the others are spot-on with the lifter leak-down diagnosis, however, and it's probably something I'll just have to live with. Don't burn your tires up with those turbos!

Jbeene guest

I thought maybe you had a 328 after I posted. The leakdown thing will help. It did with my 530.

An opportunity to get my dream M3 exactly to my specs came along so I sold the 335 (with full Dinan mods and 398 hp) and bought the M3.

Have no regrets, the M car is pretty special. I've wanted on since 1st year university in 1988. Never get enough road in front me to really rev it out though.:rolleyes:

zee4mike guest

Ticking Once More

It's back.....the HVA ticking noise. Silence lasted about a week. Still sporadic, but when it does occur, it seems quieter than before, but I'm not sure by how much. I've put a call into my dealership....we'll see what they say.

Pat Daily guest

We are looking at a 2008 328i with 13000 miles on it and noted the tic noise. The dealer sent it to the BMW dealer for a fix. Is that an indication not to buy it?

Pat Daily guest

We bought the 2008 anyway. The tic is gone. The dealer we where the car was sent it the the local BMW dealer and the BMW dealer indicates installed a hydr. valve pushrod, a profile-gasket, and a collar screw and that they relaced the exhaust cam hydraulic lifters per sib 11-09-07.

I don't really know what all that means exactly, but the tic is gone and the car (a 2008 328i convertible) is a beauty. We now have a 2005 325i that we bought new and now has 27000 miles on it (love that car even if it is my wife's) and the 2008 with 12500 miles (my daughters) and I drive my Honda van and my 63 356B Porsche.

az3579

What that means, is that there was a Service Bulletin for it, to fix a known and potentially common problem. I've seen posts about ticking from these engines before, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Service Bulletin for it. Apparently the dealer has a fix for it, as your car no longer ticks. Let's just hope it stays that way; hope your daughter (and you!) enjoy the new E93. :)

tres

im also new to this forum and have the same ticking noise but it goes away after the car warms up i have a 335i

Pat Daily guest

Well we love the 328 convertible--it has a 6 speed stick and lots of goodies. My daughter will even let me drive it some. But it isn't like my 356!

fshubert

I hear an occasional ticking on my '09 335i. I heard it on my '07 328i. It sounds the same so can't be a wastegate (as suggested by some). This is a mechanical tick. Injector? Lifter? Not sure. But when it's constant, then I can chase the dealer about it.