Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear wheel bearing question

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by chicane, Aug 1, 2009.

chicane

(e36 M3) For anyone who has done this install before which direction does the rear wheel bearing face? Both sides look nearly identical and there is no indication anywhere on the bearing itself that this side is the outside facing or this side is the inside facing part of the bearing.

Also, the largest diameter press washer/installer (for the B90 tool) doesn't reach to the outer race of the new wheel bearing. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Circlip is on the outboard side. You remove the brakes and parking brake and then you must pull the hub out of the bearing. Remove the circlip, then press out the bearing. If you don't have the special tool, which includes a large horseshoe to straddle the hub and press it off, you may have trouble. Check to see if your local club's tool steward has the tool.

chicane

I have the B90 tool, extracted everything fine. And I've figured out which side is which (black goes toward the diff, red toward the wheel). right now my problem is I am having trouble getting the bearing to go in straight. I tap it in a little bit and when I connect the B90 tool to start wrenching it in it starts to go a little cockeyed. Any ideas?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Just make sure the recess is completely cleaned out. You may wish to wipe a little lube on the outside of the bearing race, then jsut keep pulling that sucker in. It will straighten out as it goes in. Don't forget to grase the threads of the tool as well.
    (I must not have been pating much attention to your original question, sorry.)

chicane

That's Ok, I got it in there. One more question in what order do I reinstall the hub and axle? Do I reinstall the axle then press on the hub or vice versa?