Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1995 M3 control arm...sourcing nightmare

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by tommycat1313, Feb 1, 2020.

tommycat1313

Hi all -

I'm on a total factory restore of my 95 e36 M3 (build 10/94). It's going well except for an issue that is about to rob me of my sanity. I cannot find, anywhere in North America, the correct LEFT side control arm for this car. The specified part number is 31 12 2 227 249. Everyone, including the dealerships (two of them) have sent me a control arm with that part number, but which does not resemble the original part, or even resemble the images in their catalogs for that PN.

The original part is painted black with 4 holes cut for weight, and the part I'm receiving from EVERYONE is powder-coated grey with 6 holes cut. The part number and geometry are the same, yes, but this is a factory restore, and I want to get it back to as original as possible. What's more is there doesn't seem to be a right-side equivalent to this grey thing. The right-side ones I'm receiving are the proper black, 4 holes.

Does anyone know what BMW changed, when and why, or where I can locate a left control arm for a 95 which is black, with 4 holes cut in it?

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and use this alternative arm if I can't find the correct one, but it will always mar this resto a bit, ugh.

Photo attached.

TIA
    --Brad

Attached Files:

charlson89

Not sure on the exact reason for the difference. I do know in older parts sometimes BMW’s parts manufactures stop making it or they have to change to a different manufacture. So the new part may not look the exact same as the one coming off but will function the same. I understand how annoying that can be.

tommycat1313

Thanks for the insight. I discovered a few things since writing this thread. The part number exists in two forms, one ending in -INT and one ending in -BOE. Both fit my car, but the -BOE is the correct original equipment. Sold only in Germany currently, I have one on the way from there via Pelican. (the supplier not the bird).

charlson89

Glad to hear it. Let us know how it turns out.