Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2016 F30 340 Engine Air Filter Replacement

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by DCZ4, Jun 28, 2021.

DCZ4

Looking for guidance on replacing my engine air filter. Three of the four clips on the air box housing are easy to remove. The fourth (front right when facing the engine) is in a tight spot and if I unclip with a long screw driver it I don't see how it would be possible to re-clip. Do I leave the fourth clip in place and bend back the air box housing to remove and replace the air filter? There is tension when I do this and I don't want to break any of the plastic air intake parts. This should be easy!

DCZ4

Reporting back in case someone else experiences this same issue. First off I could not find any repair manuals, including a Bentley manual, for the F30 340. I ended up unclipping all four clips for the air box housing and installed the new air filter. The fun part was figuring out to reclip the fourth clip (front right facing engine). I thought a thin 8-inch long screw driver would work but there was not enough room to get much pressure on the clip. I ended up using the long screw driver to hook the clip with a thin piece of cord. Then keeping pressure on the cord and pressing down on the corner of the air box I was finally able to re-clip the clip after about 7 tries. I would like to know how the dealership does this. I swear the throttle response is much better now. The filter was extremely dirty. Don't believe the service internal calculated by the internal electronics. Have fun and hopefully see you at the track.