Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Diagnosing Steering Feedback

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by alvocado, Nov 11, 2009.

alvocado

I installed Meyle HD LCAs and bushings on my 2002 330cic about 2 years ago with 58k miles. A few months ago, I started to get some feedback through the steering wheel when making right turns. The feedback has steadily increased and is now pretty repeatable and more prominent. It feels very much like play from the drivers side LCAB and only happens when the drivers side is loaded (making right turns.)

It was difficult to diagnose my original LCABs until they were off the car but once removed, there was no question they were shot. Does anyone have advice on how to confirm if the Meyle LCAB has failed or perhaps other items to check? Thanks.

Arash2002tii guest

Is there any noise from the driver's side as you turn right or even driving straight?

alvocado

No noise while turning or driving straight. Likely unrelated but I'll throw it in, I've had a chirping noise in the front end from either side when I hit sharp bumps for the past 12 mos. That has been around much longer than the steering feedback and I suspected tie rod end links. I haven't pinned that one down and since it's only a noise with no noticeable impact on driveability, it hasn't been a priority. The steering feedback is definitely noticeably and becoming more significant.

alvocado

New data. I pulled the drivers side wheel today and with the car in the air, rotated the steering wheel back and forth. I could feel a slight knocking if I rapidly alternated left and right along with the expected noise of the rack and pinion engaging when the direction is switched. I've heard the steering guibos are a common wear item. Anyone with experience diagnosing one? It feels a little early for it to be going out with 72k miles on the car but I've had several of the "common" issues hit like clockwork.

CharlieD

The steering guibo is visible with a light (just up the column a from the rack) and any damage should be visible (unlikely I'd say). There is a finite number of possible offenders beyong the guibo ... tie-rod ends, rack, or LCAs. From your description I would look at tie-rods ends first. You should be able to grab onto each component at its interface with the next while somebody rocks the wheel back and forth and isolate where the play or clunk is. Sometimes you can be fooled when the car is in the air because the suspension droop moves the balls out of their wear zone and they feel better than they do when everything is at normal ride height. Alternately, with the car down on its wheels, have somebody rock the steering wheel and feel the tie-rod end areas by reaching up underneath, likewise to isolate the location of the play. Or just roll the dice and swap out both tie-rod ends and re-align.

alvocado

My wife turned the steering wheel with the car on the ground so I could check the tie rod and it was solid. I could feel the knocking coming from the steering rack but with the car on the ground, it was impossible to get a hand on the guibo. I'm ruling out tie rods so I'll swap the guibo this week since it's a quick and cheap replacement. I'll post back with results.

A quick and easy way to check LCA bushings for wear

The last time my LCAs were shot I noticed every time I torqued the wheel nuts, the whole wheel assy moved A LOT. When all is well, you should be able to torque the lug nuts with very little motion of the wheel assembly. A loose LCA will let the force of wheel torquing move the whole wheel/control arm assembly a ridiculous amount. It's obvious.

First time it happened, I lifted the car back up and discovered my "little surprise". I R&R'd the LCAs with the BAVauto HD Meyle units and the wheel deflected very little during lug torquing finishing the job. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

alvocado

As noted, the LCA's were recently replaced. Changing the steering coupler made a huge difference and seems to have resolved the issue.

Replaced the steering guibo in my car since this post was started

I had a loss of steering precision that happened in a very short time. Over at e46fanatics they were just getting into that so I changed mine out today. Although the I old guibo (121k miles on it) still looked good, a close inspection revealed a warping of the rubber biscuit and in my case this is what caused the trouble. From here on, every time I rebuild the front suspension, I'm going to throw a steering guibo in to the project as well...it's only $44 more....The new guibo really shored things up nicely - she feels good as new.
    Cheers!