Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Headlamp Assembly / Adaptive headlight

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by sbfreeman, Aug 6, 2018.

?

Repair headlight versus replace car

Fix headlight 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Replace vehicle 0 vote(s) 0.0%

sbfreeman

The adaptive headlight warning is displayed. The protective cover on the back of the headlight assembly has plastic clips and attachment points that are broken and it will no longer attach correctly. This let water into the headlight assembly. Is it possible to just change the headlight housing or will the entire headlight assembly need to be changed?

It looks like a headlight assembly is about $1000 so this one part would be about a sixth of the car's value (100k miles). Any guidance on whether to repair the part or trade up to a newer BMW would be appreciated.

MGarrison

Car's an E90? Maybe see if you have any pick-n-pulls in your area with something that might work, or see what's out there on Ebay. Check craigslist, any part-outs on the classifieds here, or the other big BMW forums... bimmerforums.com, bimmerfest.com, bimmerpost.com., etc. Unless you have oodles of other maintenance expense needed, seems like it would be worth some time trying to find a replacement if one can be had for less than a new one, hopefully a lot less. Any chance you could finagle some diy fix like using zip-ties somehow to get yours sealed up, or something like that?

sbfreeman

Thanks for the reply. I could figure out something to keep the cover closed. Now I just have to find out what part of the adaptive control is malfunctioning and if I can get to it without removing the wheel well liner.

charlson89

If you need a new headlight I would just get a used part, much cheaper.